US Youth Soccer TOPSoccer (The Outreach Program for Soccer) is a community-based training program for all athletes with intellectual, emotional, and or physical disabilities. The program strives to provide soccer opportunities (the opportunity of soccer) for players to develop at their own pace in a safe, fun, and supportive/inclusive environment.
How do I participate? Contact your local US Youth Soccer State Association office to find out more about getting involved with a local US Youth Soccer TOPSoccer program. You can find State Association by clicking here.
Why do we need a TOPSoccer Program?
TOPSoccer was formed to perpetuate the US Youth Soccer mission statement which is, in part, "to foster the physical, mental and emotional growth and development of America's youth through the sport of soccer at all levels of age and competition." There are thousands of children with disabilities who need, and can be provided with, the opportunity to play soccer through the TOPSoccer program.
- Identify the need in your area. For what type of disabilities do you need to plan? Are you able to fulfill these needs?
- Check for any restrictions placed on the facility (ies) you plan to use. Are they equipped to handle athletes with physical disabilities?
- Check with your soccer insurance carrier.
- Contact established programs for information. (US Youth Soccer, Special Olympics, United Cerebral Pals, Shriners)
- Contact your local school districts and universities.
- Create a list of people who are able to assist you.
- Plan your advertisements.
- Get the support of your State Association and Regional TOPSoccer Representative, and use them as resources.