By Randy Vogt, Director of Public Relations, Eastern New York Youth Soccer Association
August 16, 2013-The Eastern New York Youth Soccer Association (ENYYSA), with well over 100,000 registered youth soccer players from Long Island to the Canadian border, is very pleased to announce our scholarship recipients for 2013. The winners are five teenagers who graduated from high school in June and have just started their freshman years of college.
• Michael Whitman of Red Hook, who plays for the Hyde Park Lightning of the East Hudson Youth Soccer League and is attending Western New England University, recipient of the Livio D’Arpino Scholarship
• Philip Giordano of East Northport, who plays for the Northport/Cow Harbor Sound of the Long Island Junior Soccer League and is attending Ithaca College, recipient of the Livio D’Arpino Scholarship
• Emma Bodeker of Warwick, who plays for Manhattan United of the Westchester Youth Soccer League and is attending the College of St. Rose, recipient of the Jack Bauman Scholarship
• Nicola Winogradoff of Mahopac, who plays for the Middlepath Xtreme of the East Hudson Youth Soccer League and is attending the University of Hartford, recipient of the Jack Bauman Scholarship
• Emmalee Meyer of Massapequa, who plays for the Massapequa Elite of the Long Island Junior Soccer League and is attending Villanova University, recipient of the Patricia Louise Masotto and Brenda Driscoll Scholarship
"It is a great pleasure to award these scholarships to five deserving graduates of the Eastern New York Youth Soccer Association," said ENYYSA President Richard Christiano. "I know that our society’s future is in very good hands after reading all that these five teenagers have been able to accomplish in school and on the field."
The scholarship winners were chosen based on academic and athletic excellence, community service and a written essay. Biographies of all five scholarship recipients will follow next week.
With 123,843 youth soccer players––68,587 boys and 55,256 girls––and more than 25,000 volunteers, the non-profit Eastern New York Youth Soccer Association (ENYYSA) stretches from Montauk Point, Long Island to the Canadian border. Members are affiliated with 12 leagues throughout the association, which covers the entire state of New York east of Route 81. Eastern New York exists to promote and enhance the game of soccer for children and teenagers between the ages of 5 and 19 years old, and to encourage the healthy development of youth players, coaches, referees and administrators. All levels of soccer are offered––from intramural, travel team and premier players as well as Special Children. No child who wants to play soccer is turned away. Eastern New York is a proud member of the United States Soccer Federation and United States Youth Soccer Association. For more information, please log on to http://www.enysoccer.com/, which receives nearly 300,000 hits annually from the growing soccer community.