US State Soccer E License
U.S. Soccer Coaching certification begins at the state level. The National "E" license is an 18-hour course, which covers the elementary principles of coaching and prepares interested coaches for the "D" license course.
The National "E" course is only administered and instructed by Eastern New York State Soccer Associations. Select here fro a complete course schedule.
What are the key components of the "E" license course?
- Develop the core coaching competencies necessary to effectively teach the 9-12 year old athlete and team.
- Understand and effectively apply the principles of Long Term Athlete Development.
- Demonstrate competency in planning an age-appropriate training session.
- Demonstrate the essential competencies to execute a team training session that is focused on a technical function of the game.
- Understand concepts and recognize the principles of attacking and defending in a small-sided game environment (3v3 to 9v9 adaptable to local competition structure).
Pre-Course Candidate Assignments
Candidates are required to complete four (4) pre-course assignments. Candidates must complete two (2) Laws of the Game assignments and a Concussion Awareness course. In addition, candidates must choose to complete one of three (3) team management assignments. Each assignment must be submitted during the opening lecture.
Part A – Complete the U.S. Soccer Referee exam ("E" License candidates are required to complete modules 4, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, and 17)
Candidates are not required to print a completion certificate. Your exam results will be automatically shared with your State Soccer Association host and U.S. Soccer.
Part B - Research and write a brief report on the rationale of modified small-sided games rules.
Contact your local League or soccer organization to locate the modified rules of play for the team that you coach. Read and review the modifications for the following FIFA Rules:
1 Field, 2 Ball, 3 Players, 5 Referee, 6 Assistant Referee, and 7 Duration of Game.
A Spanish version of the Laws of the Game will be available in 2013. More details will be available soon.
Risk Management Assignment
- Concussion Awareness - English (online): Script I Spanish (online): Script
Please note candidates are required to print a completion certificate and submit during the opening lecture.