USSF D License
The National "D" license is a 36 to 40-hour course designed for the experienced coach who has already earned a National "E" license. The focus of this course is to improve a coaches ability to positively influence individual players and teams.
The National "D" course is only administered and instructed by Eastern New York Youth Soccer Association. Please select here to see a complete course schedule
If you have already taken the USSF D License and need to upgrade, please follow this link
for additional information.
What are the key components of the "D" license course?
- Develop the core coaching competencies necessary to effectively teach the 13-14 year old athlete and team.
- Understand the characteristics and needs of an athlete in the Intermediate Stage of U.S. Soccer's Athlete Development Model.
- Build on the foundation of knowledge and experience in order to proceed through the sequence of coaching development courses.
What are the specific target outcomes of the course?
- Teach the Principles of Play in a training environment. (7v7 to 9v9).
- Apply the Principles of Play to functional group roles in a full team system.
- Plan a sequence of training and weekly cycles to complete a season plan.
The "D" license course is broken into four phases:
- Preparation Phase - Candidates pre-register for a course two (2) to three months in advance. Each candidate is assigned five (5) coaching sessions which they plan, prepare and teach. Each session plan is discussed with a course instructor and feedback given. Each candidate must be prepared to video and send segments of their recorded sessions to their instructor for review and evaluation.
- Instructional Phase (14 to 18 hrs.) - Candidates meet face-to-face with instructors at a course.
- Deliberate Practice Phase - Candidates are required to complete five (5) assigned training sessions over a minimum of 10 weeks. It is expected that the sessions be evenly distributed through the 10 week period. Candidates will be assigned the training sessions during the Instructional phase. Each candidate must be prepared to video and send segments of their recorded sessions to their instructor for review and evaluation.
- Performance Review Phase (14 to 18 hrs.) - Final on-field exam. Candidates have one full year following the completion of the deliberate practice phase to attend any performance review phase to complete the "D" course. All candidates must bring their 5 deliberate coaching session’s plans to course.
D Course Retest Procedure
For those candidates that obtained a Provisional grade on their original D course please note that when the following have been completed you can email Tim Bradbury at email@example.com and schedule a retest.
1. A minimum of six months has passed since your original evaluation date.
2. You have confirmed a access to a full field.
3. You have confirmed that you have a minimum of 18 players that are between 14 and 16 years of age.
4. Tim has assigned a retest topic that you must enter in the registration link.
5. You must score a 38.5 or higher to pass.
6. For scores 30 and 38, you may re-test again in 6 months. You must complete registration again. See steps 2-4 above for instructions.
7. For scores below 30, you must wait 6 months to re-test, then follow steps 2-4 above.
Please note that you must register for the retest a minimum of three weeks before you wish to complete your retest.