By Randy Vogt, Director of Public Relations, Eastern New York Youth Soccer Association
January 30, 2018-With 1,600 travel and premier teams, the Long Island Junior Soccer League (LIJSL) is the largest league in the Eastern New York Youth Soccer Association (ENYYSA) and its convention is one of the world’s largest soccer conventions.
Welcome to the 36th Annual LIJSL Convention on March 9, 10 and 11 at the Huntington Hilton on Route 110 in Melville. 10,000 soccer fans are once again expected to attend. If you’ve ever kicked a soccer ball, coached a team, refereed a game or cheered on your favorite player, there’s something for you at the LIJSL Convention!
The fun begins at 7 pm on Friday night, March 9 with the Annual Awards Dinner as the Volunteer of the Year from LIJSL clubs will be honored as well as the newest inductees into the LIJSL Hall of Fame. Attending a few of the dinners in the past decade has been Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-NY), who has lauded LIJSL volunteers every time he has come as the Senator knows all about their importance since his daughter grew up playing soccer in the LIJSL.
At 8:00 pm on Saturday, March 10 in Salon D, the Long Island Soccer Player Hall of Fame will honor its newest Hall of Famers.
Although there is a fee for attending both dinners, admission to the rest of the LIJSL Convention is absolutely free. Throughout the day on Saturday, March 10 and on Sunday morning, March 11, there will be LIJSL Sportsmanship Award presentations, meetings for club presidents, coaches and volunteers plus coaches and referee clinics as thousands of people purchase soccer items. Highlights include:
• Vendors from around the world. To register as a vendor, log on to: http://lijslsoccer.siplay.com/site/
• United Soccer Coaches 4v4 Course, a three-hour course designed for those who will be coaching youth soccer players from 4 to 10 years of age.
• United Soccer Coaches Goalkeeper Level 1 Diploma Course which will explore some of the myths and mystiques surrounding the last line of defense.
• A bilingual College Forum (English/Spanish) for high school freshmen, sophomores and juniors. The expert panel will talk about what every parent and player needs to know, including NCAA requirements, financial aid packages plus picking the college that’s right for you!
• American Red Cross CPR/AED Training
• Soccer Games free-of-charge for Under-9 to Under-12 LIJSL teams all weekend (weather-permitting) in the New York Cosmos Inflatable Soccer Field, outside on the tennis court.
For more information about the 36th Annual LIJSL Convention, please contact the league at 631-648-9020.
With over 100,000 youth soccer players––both boys and girls––and more than 25,000 volunteers, the non-profit Eastern New York Youth Soccer Association (ENYYSA) stretches from Montauk Point, Long Island to the Canadian border. Members are affiliated with 11 leagues throughout the association, which covers the entire state of New York east of Route 81. ENYYSA exists to promote and enhance the game of soccer for children and teenagers between the ages of 5 and 19 years old, and to encourage the healthy development of youth players, coaches, referees and administrators. All levels of soccer are offered––from intramural, travel team and premier players as well as Special Children. No child who wants to play soccer is turned away. ENYYSA is a proud member of the United States Soccer Federation and United States Youth Soccer Association. For more information, please log on to http://www.enysoccer.com/, which receives nearly 300,000 hits annually from the growing soccer community.